Welcome to the Business Journal Archives
Search for articles below, or continue to the all new BusinessJournalDaily.com now.
Youngstown Foundation Awards $3.1M in Grants
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- Twelve organizations in the Mahoning Valley have been awarded grants that total $183,704.54 by the distribution committee of The Youngstown Foundation.
The meeting of Dec. 4 recognized the successful relocation of the Foundation offices to the City Centre One Building, the launch of the Y-Star program and more than $3 million in grants awarded throughout the year to local nonprofit organizations.
Among the fourth-quarter grants from the unrestricted fund of the foundation:
- Compass Family & Community Services, roof replacements, $15,000.
- Meals on Wheels of John Knox Church, purchase of food transport carriers, $9,240.54.
- Mahoning Valley College Access Program, support, $20,000.
- Protestant Family Services, improvements for multi-purpose conference room, $4,100.
- The Salvation Army, after-school learning zone program, $10,000.
- Youngstown Community Food Center & Gleaners Food Bank, purchase refrigerator/freezer truck, $12,000.
- United Way of Youngstown & the Mahoning Valley Annual Campaign, $75,000.
- Coitsville Township Benevolent Association, Coitsville Memorial Park improvements, $8,500.
- Chaney High School mathematics department, math manipulatives program materials, $5,000.
- Taft and Williamson elementary schools, Youngstown Afterschool Alliance, $12,364.
- Youngstown Early College, student coaching program, $12,500.
In addition, more than $125,000 was awarded to charities through funds held within the foundation. These include donor-advised funds, The Hine Memorial Fund and the Crisis Assistance Fund, reports Crissi Jenkins, Hine Fund program coordinator.
For those who write checks to local charities, The Youngstown Foundation's Support Fund will add 5% to contributions for approved fund participants.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our twice-monthly print edition.